Hi, Rainer!!

Thanks again! The new approach you just suggested is absolutely better than
the first one. With the first one, the very first old file I tested, which
had movement breaks with changes in noinst, did compile with PMX but the
resulting score failed to reflect the very first change in noinst. It was
because in the original PMX source I had in fact temporarily redefined
\atnextline; so it failed for EXACTLY the reason you suggested might come
up.

So I went ahead and implemented the new approach, requiring changes in both
pmx.tex and pmxab.exe. I'm still not confident enough to post the revised
version as a new beta, but if anyone wants the revised PMX files just let me
know and I'd be happy to send them.

Meanwhile, I have a question for Hermann, Rainer, Dirk, or anyone else who
cares to jump in: Can you provide an example of an M-Tx source that manages
to change the number of instruments in midstream. Hermann's PMX file that
started all of this does do that, but he didn't  provide the M-Tx source and
may have manually combined several prepmx-generated files. On my commercial
site I have published a cantata that goes back and forth between 2
instruments (BC+Voice) and 4 (BC+Voice+2 violins). I never could figure out
how to get M-Tx to accept the change in noinst, so the M-Tx source had 4 all
the way, and I wrote a special program to post-process the initial
prepmx-generated .pmx, removing the extra inputs where there needed to be
only two instruments and writing a new .pmx. I'd really like to know how to
avoid the extra steps and get M-Tx to directly create a .pmx that reflects
the changes in noinst.

--Don Simons

Dunker