Don Simons wrote :
 >Sorry, it is surprising to me that you get any problem when you add th>at
 >line. When I do it,
 >PMX does exactly what I expect and what is
 >intended, namely, squeeze all the notes a little closer together so the new
 >notes fit just fine at the end of the single line >you legislated.

 That's not what my question was about. When you're writing a long score,
sooner or later you must break a line, or the single staff on your draft will
become overburdened and illegible. So what do you do then in PMX ?

 Don Simons wrote :
 > To compile, are you running the sequence pmxab => etex => musixflx => etex
 > => dvips ?

 Absolutely (although that would be pmxab - pdftex - musixflx -pdftex on my Mac
with built-in support for PDF)

 Don Simons wrote :
 > Are you deleting *.mx1 before you recompile?

 Do you mean *.mx1 or *.mx2 ? The MusixTeX manual instructs to delete the *.mx2
file, which is what I do.

 Ewan