>|Correct. I'm on my own! My next step will be to attempt to remove the
 >|existing TeX installation using the software manager, and then go with
 >|your strand (b). Once I have a TeX installation in place that tlmgr
 >|(which seems to have been somewhat crudely removed from the "full"
 >|version in the repositories, since some screenshots of the interface
 >|are still there but not the executable itself), I might stand a better
 >|chance of being able to follow the musixtex installation instructions
 >|on the WIMA site.
 >|
 >|To that end, would someone be kind enough to explain how to add "the
 >|relevant bin directory" to my PATH? Where would I find the PATH and how
 >|do I add things to it?

If you don't know enough about Linux to do that, I don't recommend
this. I suggested several much simpler alternatives: use dvips and
ps2pdf to convert dvi to pdf, download and use a script that does
that for you, or configure your package manager so musixtex will be
updated to a version that installs that script.  You currently have
working TeX and musixtex packages.

Bob T.