Bob,

thank you. I have now installed the full TeXlive package, but the
instructions on the page for Unix-like systems are not working for me (all
I get is a "command 'tlmgr' not found" message) and I don't know how to go
about installing a package manually. I assume that what I need would be
something like this one:
musixtex_0.115.ctan20130123-2_i386.deb<http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-13.10/ubuntu-universe-i386/musixtex_0.115.ctan20130123-2_i386.deb.html>(I'm
running a 32-bit version of Mint; Cinnamon if it makes a difference),
but will it put itself in the correct location if I execute it?

Eva-Raphaela