Christian Mondrup wrote
>I've been using pstricks for drawing various symbols when converting
>mensural notation part books to contemporary notation scores.

Thanks, Christian, that's the answer! pstricks.tex was included in my old
MiKTeX. Took some searching beyond the "pstricks web site" on tug to find a
usable manual, but I got it on CTAN.

>A drawback
>is that pstricks graphics are not compatible with pdftex (nor with
dvipdfm).

Isn't that exactly the same issue as with Type K postscript slurs? Certainly
never a drawback for me, as I run a batch script that does
etex-musixflx-etex-dvips, then I view it in GSview. And if I want a pdf,
GSview again.

--Don