I'm away from home with a computer that didn't have TeX or PMX, and I wanted to
do some typesetting. So I bit the bullet and decided to do the installation.
I'm happy to report that it went very smoothly and within an hour I had a test
file pdf. Congrats to Bob Tennent for getting all the pieces together to make
this work.

Some details: Downloaded and installed MiKTeX with minimal defaults, then from
within the MiKTeX package manager selected and installed musixtex and PMX.
Realized I didn't have my own batch scripts for running all the component
programs, nor did I have ghostview installed. So I browsed the MiKTeX bin
folder and came across pmx2pdf.exe which worked like a charm...minor glitch was
that one or some of the MusiXTeX fonts had not be installed, but somehow they
got installed automagically during the test run. The thing I was typesetting
was pretty simple. I didn't check very deeply, but I did request postscript
slurs and the resulting PDF did seem to contain them.

One slight nuisance during editing is the fact that Acrobat will not allow a
new version of a pdf to overwrite the old one when the old one is open. So
every time I made a correction or addition to the PMX source I had to manually
close the old pdf before re-running pmx2pdf. Since on my home setup I have a
batch script that makes a .ps, and I have ghostview, and that allows you to
overwrite an open .ps, I suppose a workaround would have been to create a .ps
and edit from that. But there is no pmx2ps so I would have had to write a batch
script. Also I'm not sure whether the Yap that's included with MiKTeX is for
.ps or .dvi, nor whether it will allow overwriting an open file. So until I get
home I'll just live with the small nuisance of having to close the pdf before
recompiling.

--Don Simons