>|The bad news is that I still don't have an answer to my
 >|original question, which was basically how to use a .ttf
 >|in MusiXTeX, not Lilypond.

For alphabetic and numeric text:

Use fontforge (a free font editing program) or similar to convert
the ttf to pfb and tfm.  Apparently you've done this.

Create a suitable map file containing a line such as

JazzText-Regular JazzText-Regular <JazzText-Regular.pfb

Install the pfb, the tfm and the map file into your personal
texmf tree. Update the font-name database and the font maps.

Write an extension package that uses that font instead of
cmr, as in the attached. Use it as follows:

\input musixtex
\input musixjt

  :

You can then process any musixtex file as usual using
musixtex116. The text will be in JazzText.

As I said earlier, getting MusiXTeX to use another
music-sumbol font would be a big job.

Bob