According to the CD, it's DIGITAL Visual Fortran Version 5.0, ca. 1997. I
don't think they even had invented 64-bit PCs then, and there certainly
aren't any obvious settings I could change to fix this. I will try the other
suggestion though. I'm not familiar with Virtual Box, and would be a bit
concerned about virus protection issues. I know that's a big issue if you
install a virtual Windows XP on a Windows 7 box, where you'd need to install
anti-virus on the virtual machine to be protected.

To be honest I do have a (somewhat cumbersome) workaround...I can still fire
up an old XP laptop (and make sure it doesn't connect to the web, since the
antivirus S/W on it has long expired). It's a tradeoff whether that's more
of a hassle than using gfortran and foregoing the debugging facilities.

--Don