Dieter, your Beethoven example is an interesting challenge. Without worrying
about the internal hows and whys, I believe PMX as is could handle the
entire thing straightforwardly. That's because the only notes with 5 beams
(in the 4th and last bars) are xtuplets, and there are no single notes with
5 flags. However, there is one unrelated thing that PMX cannot do (without
inline TeX): reduce from 4 to 3 beams and back up to 4 in a single beamed
group. You can to go down to 1 beam and back up, e.g. [ a3 t g6 a ][ b a g f
].

One curious thing I noticed in the example: In the first beat of the last
bar, the last quarter beat has 6 notes and they're printed with 4 beams.  In
the third beat, third quarter of the beat, there are also 6 notes but now
only 3 beams. PMX's default is 4 beams for this case, but you could get 3
with e.g. [m3 g1x6 g g g g g ]

--Don