Hi, Danai--

I'm really glad you mentioned the 3rd bar in your text, because when I compiled
your source after simply cutting and pasting it from the email without looking
at it in detail, it came out with just 2 bars that looked awful. I soon
realized that in the email process the first two "/r2d"s had been stuck on the
end of their preceding lines, and therefore ignored (since PMX ignores
everything after the first "/" in a line.)

Anyhow, there is an explanation for what you're seeing and a fairly effective
work-around, none of which is explained in the manual. The key fact is that
from PMX's perspective, default beam stem directions and lengths are what they
would be if you ignore the "z" chord notes. So in your example the default
direction was up, and the stems are only as long as needed for the low F's.  If
you make the highest note in each chord the main note, like this:

d82a zd+ [u d8 o. za zf e+ o> za- zf ] [u f+ o_ za- zf e+ o. za- zf d+ op za zf
] /

it comes out much nicer. Now you do need to force the beams to be upward
because the default would now be downward since the main notes are now all on
or above the middle line.

As you can imagine, the code logic for beamed, ornamented chords as it stands
is quite complex, involving computing the heights and angles of the beams and
then the vertical positions of the ornaments. Of course it could conceivably be
enhanced to automagically select more pleasing positioning regardless of which
note is entered as the main chord note, but that would make the coding even
more complicated, plus it would create backward incompatibilities, so I'm not
inclined to pursue it.

But don't hesitate to raise more questions as they arise! I'm always happy to
see people using PMX.

--Don