Great story Steve. Thats a long way to crawl. I dont know about the sulfur
crawl, but I wish I would have been there with you. These memories would make
almost anything else easy. How did the sketch look? Did the notes stay clean?
Caveman Mark Gee

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:07 AM, John Corcoran
<john_j_corcoran_...@msn.com> wrote:

Mark,

Getting out wasn't too bad, once I realized I had to take off the web belt
to get through the bottom tight spot.  Was pretty chilled by the time we got
to the surface, but had bright sunshine that day...

Regards,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: swr-boun...@caver.net [mailto:swr-boun...@caver.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Minton
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:10 PM
To: s...@caver.net
Subject: Re: [SWR] A New Thread: Crawlways

John,

         That's a harrowing story! I can't think of having been in such a
desperate situation myself. Getting back out must have been interesting.
Glad you survived!

Mark

At 07:21 PM 3/12/2014, John Corcoran wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Your Deer Spring Cave crawl reminds me of a trip in the 1960s to the
>caves on Cave Creek in the Pecos Wilderness in New Mexico.  Alan Hill,
>Carol Hill, and I had heard about these caves and knew it would be a
>beautiful hike (cave's entrances  were around 9,500 feet in elevation
>as I recall) so decided to check things out.  The first thing we
>spotted was an apparent resurgence in the creek bed and then up-canyon
>found the entrance to the first cave.  About 1/3 of the water flowing
>down the creek (fed by snowfields higher up in the wilderness -brrr!)
>went into this entrance which is about 3-4 feet in diameter.  Alan
>Hill, being an experienced wet caver of Mammoth/Flint Ridge fame,  said
>he had seen two other entrances just like this back east and both led
>to caves with over ten miles of passage, so he immediately got his cave
>gear together (including coveralls on top of three pairs of thermal
>underwear) and entered the cave.  Carol told me not to let Alan get too
>far ahead or go alone, so I got my gear together (coveralls, one pair
>of thermal underwear (not as prepared as was Alan!), and a
>military-style web belt with a pouch on each side to carry water and
>other
>supplies) and entered the crawl.  The cave descends through a series of
>small waterfalls at constrictions along the passage - a series of stair
>steps with successively tighter pinches as you go downhill.  I did not
>see Alan, so I hurried headfirst through the loud descent.  I could see
>a faint light shining on the surface of a pool at the bottom of the
>last little waterfall In came to and, not sure I could turn around to
>go feet first, stuck my arms and torso through the small opening and
>tried to touch the floor of the pool.  However, the water was deeper
>than I thought, so I tried to back out and could not do so since I had
>nothing to push against.  Then I tried to finish going through the
>opening and jammed in the tight spot thanks to the canteen pouches at
>my waist.  I could not reach my hands past my body to undo the belt and
>while struggling, noticed that I had almost cut off the whole stream
>flow with my body and could feel the water backing up above me.  The
>water rose above my feet, and started flowing down inside my coveralls
>and exiting at the neck right into my face like a fire hose, making it
>difficult to breath and impossible to shout for help from Alan who was
>at the end of the long, narrow room trying to dig out some logs from
>the next constriction.  Just when I thought my number was up, the water
>pressure became high enough behind me to tear one of the pouches off the
web belt and I plunged down into the pool and up to my elbows in soft
sediment.

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org