George -- You can still purchase the eTrex Vista HCx (new ones).

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George D. Nincehelser via Texascavers
  To: Frank Binney ; TexasCavers
  Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:19 PM
  Subject: Re: [Texascavers] GPS recommendation?

  I've owned many GPS units.  I think my all-time favorite was the original
grey Garmin eTrex Vista.  Unfortunately I broke it during a trip to China.

  Lately I've using a Garmin Oregon.  It's a few years old now.  I'm not
terribly impressed with the color and touch display.  It always seems washed
out in daylight and I keep having to re-calibrate the screen.

  I can't think of any particular reason to prefer one GPS brand or another in
Mexico.  I guess the deciding factor might be the quality and detail of any
built-in maps for the areas you plan to be in.

  On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Frank Binney via Texascavers