Frank, my comments.

1. Garmin has been the best for many years now, and is better supported by
other software because they published their format before the others.
2. Some Garmin models allow you to take 10,000 track log points, which can
later be downloaded. You can specify the distance increment or a time increment
on the track log points (on some models) which makes it useful for making maps
after you download them. WALLS supports Garmin downloads.
3. The larger units are better for old eyes, plus they float if you are a
boater or hike along water sources. My current favorite is the Garmin 76CSx
(which is probably out of production now).
4. Each Garmin track point has the time stamp plus the X, Y & Z location. Some
other units only have the "change" from the starting track point, and do not
provide a stand-alone location on each track record.
5. I use MacGPS on a Mac to interface with Garmin units. They have a good
package for 7.5 minute USGS & FS quads for each state plus other areas.
[http://www.macgpspro.com/index.php?id=141] Sorry no Mexico quads yet, but you
could ask them. They also offer an iPhone product (iHike) and an iPad sailing
product (iSailGPS) for the units with GPS.

 - Pete