David et al.,

Refer to your copy of /50 Years of Texas Caving*:/ the section on "Bones", pp 279-285. Bones of black bear (/Ursus americanus /sp.) have been found in numerous Texas caves. Not surprising because historical accounts mention that there were a great many of them during the 1800s, especially in the Edwards Plateau/Hill Country, and in far west Texas. In addition to those already mentioned on the list, here are a few more examples, certainly not all:

    (edited excerpts from /50 Years/):
       " Edwards County is especially noted for the numerous sites with remains
of /Ursus americanus/, the once common black bear . . .
        In 1956, Ken Baker found black bear bones in Saltillo Cave . . .
In 1963, cavers including Pete Lindsley and Preston McMichael collected a black bear skull and bones from Deep Cave . . . (photo by Pete on p. 284)
        In 1967, Kunath found black bear bones in Cardiac Cave . . ."

Also, around 1995, Colorado Bend State Park staff discovered the articulated remains of 2 black bear (mother & cub?) in Cicurina Cave (San Saba County). They brought out the adult skull, but the rest of the remains were washed away in a major flood event before they could be recovered.
And in the late 1990s, Bill Stiver recovered a black bear skull from one of the
caves on his former ranch in Kimble County.

In addition to bones, numerous claw marks of one or more bears are evident in the upper "boneyard" levels of Deep and Blowhole caves, scratched into the soft limestone. One can imagine the roars echoing through the cave as the unfortunate bear(s) try to climb up the vertical walls, in the total darkness, in vain.

*Don't have a copy of /50 Years of Texas Caving/? You don't know what you're missing. You will be amazed how many of your questions about Texas caves, cavers, cave bears, and other subjects you haven't even thought about can be answered in the 526 pages.
Contact Carl Kunath in San Angelo at carl.kun...@suddenlink.net
     or    Logan McNatt in Austin at lmcn...@austin.rr.com

Logan