The karst survey project at Government Canyon State Natural Area will resume
on the first weekend of October - Oct. 5 and 6. Activities will take place
on both days. Free, private camping is available. Contact me to set it up.

The Government Canyon Karst Survey is a joint TSA/TPWD project with the
goals of exploring the entire SNA area for caves and recharge features and
documenting those features. We ridgewalk, dig sinks, and explore, survey,
and map the caves we find. The project was started in 1993 when the Texas
Park System acquired the original 4,717 acres. The SNA has grown to include
more than 11,000 acres within its present boundaries. So far the project has
documented 52 caves and 362 karst features. We have walked less than half of
the current SNA area, so be assured - the big caves are yet to be found.

Enter the SNA at the main gate and then take the first right. There is an
unlocked gate that will need to be opened and then closed behind you.
Continue approximately 1 mile to the Volunteer/Research Station, where we
will meet at 9:00 both mornings.

Marvin Miller
(210) 415-5190