Gruta del Palmito (Bustamante) was my first wild cave. It was a
mind-altering experience. I have watched the situation concerning the cave
go through many changes over the years. It has been a very jerky
Mexican-type natural progression from a totally wild, ask nobody for
permission, do whatever you want wherever you want to do it, sort of cave
to a gated tourist attraction with an artificial entrance tunnel. In the
early days we had to follow a burro trail across the thorn infested desert
to get there; today there's a road that more closely resembles the main
runway of an international airport. Cavers have helped with some of the
intermediate steps of the progress and enhanced goodwill with those
responsible for the welfare of the cave. But otherwise US cavers (with a
couple of notable exceptions) have been of little importance in the overall
development of the cave, including the cleanup and restoration work done by
the TSA Projects held there in the last few years of the '90s. Their
commercialization efforts would have gone on without us. We were just an
adjunct to everything else. It is my general opinion that the situation and
development at Gruta del Palmito would have taken place pretty  much
exactly the way it did if cavers would never had lifted a hand otherwise.
We have not been betrayed despite our efforts in Palmito any more than
cavers have been betrayed by the commercialization of, say, Caverns of
Sonora.  A few Texans served with technical advice but the overall scheme
of things was basically a local effort. Cavers can still get off-trail
access through prior arrangement.
--Ediger