From: Neal Hines
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:33 AM
To: nealahi...@gmail.com
Cc: Texas Cavers
Subject: [Texascavers] Estimate of stalactite growth (Merkel et al. 2008)

This morning I read a geochemistry text on carbonate mineralization that gave
an example of how much stalactites might grow in one year: 0.19 mm/year. It's a
recent book (Merkel et al. Groundwater Geochemistry 2008).
Assumptions: partial pressure CO2 of 3% (charged up from soils) degassing to
0.03% (by volume; atmospheric level), 100L of water dripping from the ceiling,
and the ceiling covered by 15% stalactites.
Cavers all know this growth varies by quite a bit, but this might serve as a
rough upper end growth rate. So, within a caver's life of 70 years, you could
see a formation grow by over 1 cm! Lending truth to the observation I've heard
of some cavers that, "this passage has shifted since I was here last."
Sodastraws can grow even faster I believe & I'm sure people will have opinions
on that.
Also, thanks to Ron Green for doing the webinar on Geophysics in karst
landscapes last night. I caught only the tail end, but there were tons of
questions and very interested participants.
-Neal Hines