Bill,

Have any suggestions on where to buy these on line.  Considering the number of
batteries I've run through, time to reinvest in rechargeable.

Geary

From: Bill Walden [mailto:wdwal...@windstream.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:43 AM
To: Marvin and Lisa; texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Rechargeable Batteries

I have been using the same set of Energizer 2700 mAHh rechargeable batteries
for at least 4 years for multiple caving trips per month in my Apex headlamps
(at least 4 headlamps over the 4 years - the batteries have outlasted 3 Apex
headlamps). I always charge these batteries the night before a trip because the
charge will decay over time. Over the years the capacity has decreased from
enough to last an 8 to 12 hour cave trip to about 6 hours. My suggestions:
Don't consider buying rechargeable batteries at Wal-Mart - most of the packages
of batteries they sell are not labeled with the capacity and if the package is
labeled it is typically a low rating (less than 2000 mAh).

The Sanyo batteries recommended by Marvin sound good. These batteries represent
a new generation of nickle metal hydride batteries that hold their charge much
better than my old Energizers.

Don't buy nicad batteries as they have a memory effect.

Carefully check the milliampere hour rating of the batteries. As mentioned most
rechargeable batteries sold by Wal-Mart are not labelled or the capacity label
is covered by the packaging. I will not purchase rechargeable batteries with a
rating of less than 2500 mAh. The most recent batch of AA batteries I purchased
 are rated at 2900 mAh.

Best to use a slow charger rather than a fast charger. The battery charger I
use is a "smart" charger - that is it senses the charge on each cell. Once a
cell is fully charged, the charger switches to a trickle charge rate (enough to
maintain the battery at full charge). My charger works off a 120 volt wall
outlet or a 12 volt automobile outlet. Charge batteries day before a cave trip
to maximum duration.

I use the nickel metal hydride AA batteries for my photo equipment: 3
floodlights each requiring 6 AA batteries, 4 strobe lights each requiring 4 AA
batteries, and 3 high intensity LED flashlights each requiring 2 AA batteries
(With the reflector removed these flashlights are great for macro photography!).

Don't waste your money buying alkaline batteries.

Best regards,
Bill Walden