I obsessively researched batteries a year ago.  Long story short, I
recommend:

Battery:  Sanyo Eneloops

Charger:  Maha C801D

For those interested, here's the long story.

Sanyo Eneloops are the defacto-standard in batteries now.  I see them
specifically recommended in different fields and explicitly stated as
the battery used in numerous lighting tests.  I use them almost
exclusively.  Charger is important, too.  Don't skimp on that.

BATTERIES

There are 4 main types of rechargeable:

(1)  NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride)

Highest capacity, but self-discharges over time.  Loses 5-10% within
first 24 hours, and 0.5-1% each day thereafter.  I have a bunch of
Energizer Rechargeables.  Like Dale said, they're always dead when I go
to use them.  You basically have to charge them the night before you go
caving.  In camera flash stress test (yes, I know this is for
headlights, but that's the test I was reading in my research and
besides, James does photography, too), these average about 296
full-power flashes.

Examples: Energizer Rechargeable, PowerEx, Sanyo 2700.

(2)  LD-NiMH (Low Discharge Nickel-Metal Hydride)

These are a new variation of NiMH that don't self-discharge as rapidly.
They hold 75-80% of their charge after a year.  I've switched to these
(Sanyo Eneloops) almost exclusively in both my headlights and camera
equipment because even if I don't remember to or have time to charge
them, they are ready to go.  These average 235 flashes, 20% less than
regular NiMH, but I'm happy to trade that for the long-term charge.

Examples: Sanyo Eneloop, PowerEx Imedion.

(3)  Lithium

Extremely long shelf life.  Wide operating temperatures.  Comparatively
light-weight.  Unfortunately, they're expensive and don't work well in
camera flashes, so I don't use them.  Average 218 flashes.

Examples: Energizer Ultimate Lithium, Energizer Advanced Lithium.

(4)  NiCd (Nickel-Cadmium)

Crap.  Not even worth talking about.

RECHARGER

Don't overlook the importance of a quality charger.  The lesser ones
charge batteries in pairs and stop both as soon as one battery is fully
charged, leaving the other only partially charged.  The best charge each
battery individually.  They also have an optional "soft-charge", which
helps extend your battery life by charging slower (i.e., 2 hours instead
of the typical 1 hour), and they can recondition the batteries if they
are no longer holding their charge well (doesn't work miracles, but
helps).

The one I highly recommend is the Maha C801D.  It can charge 8 AA or
AAA, each on their own circuit, plus has the optional soft-charge and
reconditioning mentioned above.  It's a bit expensive (~$65), but I
currently have about 70 AA/AAA rechargeable batteries for my headlights
and photography equipment, so it was worth the investment for me.

I've read horror stories of failed recharging like Don's, but I've never
experienced anything like that.  I've recharged hundreds of batteries
totaling well over 1000 recharges on various quality and crappy chargers
and never had a problem.  That's not to say that someday it won't happen
to me, too, but so far I am quite pleased with the switch to
rechargeables (well, pleased with the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables--those
Energizer Rechargeables drove me and apparently Dale crazy with their
rapid self-discharge).

One last note, all these rechargeable batteries degrade over time, so
expect a usable life of about 3-5 years.  Furthermore, manufacturing
will affect battery performance and life, so it's best to keep batteries
together in the same set as they were manufactured/purchased.  A tip I
picked up from another photographer is that as soon as I buy batteries,
I label them with the year/month of purchase along with a 2 digit
set/battery code, like 3A.  That way, I can keep all the batteries of
the same set together, and I know how old the batteries are so I can
move old ones to less critical functions, like TV remotes.  Yes, a bit
obsessive, but when I haul my big ass GGG Pep bag loaded with camera
equipment hours back into a cave then run around and setup equipment
everywhere for a shot, the last thing I want is for my flash to fail
because I accidentally mixed up some crappy old batteries with my new
ones.  Without my labels, they all look the same.  :)

--Bennett