People are talking about carbide as if it was ancient history. Bully carbide burps!

Only last week the lead explorers in a state of the art far out planned sump diving expedition down a river inside MaCa asked me about borrowing some carbide lamps. I have a small collection of 25, and I keep 4-5 in working order. In the dry passage before and after the sumps they want carbide lites for use in marking stations in the wet muddy passage. They are tired of trying to use "white out," Sharpies and assorted other marking devices which barely work, if at all, in wet muddy conditions. It wastes time trying to find a small dot station.

Ask Pete Zabrock, who is making the longest consistent cave trips in the U.S. if he will ever go wet caving again w/o a trusty carbide lite. A few years ago he was trapped behind a rising sump for 24 hours and they nearly froze in their soaking wet caving suits. Ah, for the want of a Palmer plastic bag with a carbide lite to warm you up.

Cavingly,

Preston in Outer Browder, KY