A note to Sleazeweazel

I have been asked to post this by Terry Bolger, who has been living in Laos for
the past four years.   Cavers from Texas and New Mexico (and elsewhere)
probably remember Terry from the 80s when he was finishing his piled higher and
deeper in Buttock, TX.   He was active in Lech, Gypcap, West Texas, and Mexico
caving.

DirtDoc

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sleaze,

You may be able to hide from the authorities in the Lao karst (if you're
lucky), but you can't hide in cyberspace. Some of your postings from Nong Khiaw
were forwarded to me by friends. Welcome back to Laos!

Anyway, you were not the first farang to go to look for the Huai Ngom stream
cave.

I too saw the Huai Ngom sinking and resurfacing on the Lao topo map some years
ago. I went there in April, 2003, and have the pictures to prove it! ;-)

>From the village of Ban Pakngom, I took two young guides with me and we
>followed the Huai Ngom upstream for about 5 km to where it resurfaces from
>underground. However the cave entrance was completely sumped, even late in the
>dry season. We looked on the hillside above the resurgence for a dry 'fossil'
>entrance but didn't find an alternate way in. So there is a cave diving lead
>there for someone. I estimated the outflow at about 1.5 m3/s at the time.

I also considered getting to the upstream entrance. I think the way to get
there is not 'over the mountain', but to come at it from the other side of the
mountains. However it is a long walk in through slash-and-burn uplands, and I
didn't have camping equipment with me. So it's still on my 'lead list', which
keeps growing longer since there is so much exploration to be done in Laos.

Cheers, Terry

Terry Bolger

Vientiane, Laos