If you are doing a lot of repetitive work and you dont mind a little coding,
GIMP can be nice.  Everything can be scripted in Scheme which is pretty much an
encarnation of LISP as many on this list may remember when Artificial
Intelligence was a hot topic.

I enjoy it when I have used it.  Admittedly adobe will have more features and
be more modern, but GIMP does keep up well and in many cases comparable tools
have more or more granular options.

Sent from my iPhone