texascavers Digest 24 Jul 2013 04:29:06 -0000 Issue 1807

Topics (messages 22225 through 22230):

Bob Hudson
        22225 by: Carl Kunath

Re: Mallory's friend Jamie reports at ca. 4:00 PM
        22226 by: Julia Germany

Family (Aunt Sylvia) update on Mallory, 7/23/13
        22227 by: caverarch

2013 Quarter 02, Texas Caver Magazine now online!
        22228 by: ellie watson

Gruta del Mamut
        22229 by: Preston Forsythe

the NSS Google+ page
        22230 by: David

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Fritz, et al:

You can read about Bob Hudson in 50 YEARS of TEXAS CAVING.  He is quite an
important person in the history of Texas caving.  I was in touch with Bob in
the mid-1960s and much of the very early history of Texas caving comes from the
information he shared with me in several lengthy letters.

Time passed and eventually, the link was lost.

While researching for the 50 YEARS book, the search for Bob was renewed.  Over
several years time, all avenues were explored without success.  He is thought
to be deceased but that is not an absolute certainty.

Anything can happen and the Internet is a far more powerful tool these days.
If anyone has information, please pass it along.

===Carl Kunath (from Guatemala City)

From: Fritz Holt

Subject: old member trying to find another old member

Does anyone know the whereabouts or status of Bob Hudson? He was a well known
caver in the 50's and 60's. I accompanied Jimmy Walker and Bob on one of the
earliest trips into The Caverns of Sonora (then Mayfield Cave) in about
December, 1955. Jimmy lost track of Bob in the 60's and assumes he is dead.
Does anyone have a suggestion on learning his status? Thanks, Fritz Holt

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I experience James' font problem on my iPhone but not my PC. Glad to know it's
not just my fon.

- from julia's cell

On Jul 21, 2013, at 21:20, caverarch <cavera...@aol.com> wrote:

> It appears that there continues to be a problem with my posts about Mallory
> to Texas Cavers as described by Jim Jasek below. It has to be a problem of
> carried over formatting because I copied the message from another post on
> Mallory's Facebook page.  If I were on a PC I could paste it as plain text,
> but I'm not sure how to do that on my ibook laptop. And I no longer maintain
> a desktop PC at home. Sorry about that.
>
> This text is perfectly visible on my end:

> Roger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
"Update on Mallory Mayeux: They have warmed her back to 97 degrees over the
last few days. Had to go slowly, because her ICP pressure would spike and then
they would have to drain off fluid from her brain. She has an infection and
they are seeing stuff in her lungs (side-affect from being cooled so long), so
she is on an antibiotic that should help with both issues. Since she shouldn't
be shivering, they will try to take her off the paralytic tomorrow. One of the
research doctors came in last tonight and said she was going a little slower
than they thought she would, but it is going in the right direction. Thank you
for your continued prayers."

Roger Moore

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The 2013 Quarter 02, Texas Caver Magazine is now available online on the
TSA Website. http://www.cavetexas.org/members/index.php

It's accessible through the member area of the website. If you're a paid
TSA member, and you haven't registered for the member area, go to the link
below and click the register button. If you're a registered member, go to
the same link and enter your e-mail address and password. If you don't
remember your password, you can request it be sent to you.

If you are registering for the first time Heather
Tuček<https://www.facebook.com/heather.tucek>will verify your current
membership and you'd be notified when you can
access the member area. When you log in, select the Texas Caver Online link
from the menu.

Thanks to Jill Orr <https://www.facebook.com/jill.orr.355> for an excellent
edition. There is a lower resolution 6 MB version available and a high
resolution edition 37 MB. Other than size, they are hard to tell apart when
viewing.

http://www.cavetexas.org/members/index.php

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Reading an adventure magazine at the library last week I spotted an ad for his
cave in Chiapas on the road between San Cristobal and Ocosingo and on to
Palenque. We have driven that road a couple of times, but not recently.

"Mammoth Cave," anyone been to this cave in Chiapas?

Preston in KY

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am still sort-of optimistic that cavers will someday find a use for
Google+, as either a supplement to Facebook, or a replacement.

There are 2 NSS sites on Google+.      One is the official page of the NSS
that only sends out official news announcements, and the
other is sort of a chat-page where cavers can post whatever they want.

The chat-page now has 99 members, but I have no idea how many of those
actually
view it.

https://plus.google.com/communities/100328245514364040731

I did not create the chat-page, but I had been following it because I
thought it was a great idea.

The official page now has 626 likes, and over 300 people have it in their
Google circles.   I bet almost all of those are cavers, but many are
overseas.      I haven't been following the page for a few months, but that
is only because I have not been on-line much lately.

https://plus.google.com/111610247864593899054/about

Both of these pages link to one another.      There have been some good
photos posted of the remodeling of the NSS Headquarters.      What is
really great about these 2 pages is the regional caving announcements that
are posted.       This helps organizers of these events, and helps cavers
learn about events they were un-aware of.    For example, I have never
heard of the YTR.

http://www.youngtimersreunion.com/

David Locklear

--- End Message ---