I don't think a pdf version of Water Sinks is available.

Mark

At 12:34 AM 7/29/2013, Charles Goldsmith wrote:
Bill, is the author selling the pdf format anywhere?

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
I'm sure this won't raise a lot of interest, but...

Caves and Karst of the Water Sinks Area. Philip C. Lucas. Revised edition, 2012. 8.25 by 10.25 inches, 369 pages, hardbound. $95.58 plus postage from lulu.com; search for Philip Lucas.

This is a great book. After I received the privately published book, I delayed reviewing it, hoping that the NSS would pick it up, but for some reason they passed. They could have published it with almost no effort and little risk and sold it for good bit less, if only to be of service to its members, but a large hardbound book with color illustrations throughout cannot be really inexpensive.

The book is the story of what happens when a caver with an engineering bent buys property in Virginia that contains small caves and potential digs. The result has been fifteen miles of cave with entrances on Lucas's property and that of a neighbor, including the Water Sinks system, Helictite Cave, and Wishing Well Cave. The exploration of these caves has been unusually well documented, both in trip reports and photographs. Besides maps and descriptions of the caves, the book contains reports on essentially all the digging or exploration trips, mostly written by Lucas. I actually found the trip reports much more interesting reading than the formal cave descriptions, as they give a better idea of the caves and the effort that went into finding and mapping them. The technical aspects are fascinating, especially the innovative ways of temporarily stabilizing breakdown and creating airflow to locate connections. "Straws," however, are nowhere really described. The editing by Nathan Farrar is excellent, and the design and layout, by Lucas and Farrar, are very well done. Some of the nearly six hundred color photographs could have used some color adjustment, but generally they illustrate the work and the caves very well. A special effort seems to have been made to include lots of clear photographs of the participants in the projects. (One of them would make a good hobbit.) Portraits on pages 101 and 104 are especially nice.

I can't deny that this is an expensive book about a pretty narrow subject, and the story could have been told almost as well in a less costly way. (No profit is being made by anybody but Lulu.com.) To anyone who really likes cave books, it's worth it.

Lulu.com prints your copy on demand. The result in this case is sturdily bound in a printed hardcover. They also sell a number of other books on caves and caving. If you just search for caves you'll have to wade through scores of probably awful self-published novels. Besides Water Sinks, worthy of note are The Hollow Mountain: 1974-2006 by the Imperial College Caving Club (deep-cave exploration, printed paperback or free PDF, reviewed in March 2008 NSS News), Al Warild's Vertical (techniques manual, paperback, reviewed August 2002), and D. F. Machant's Life on a Line (rope rescue, paperback, reviewed June 2003).—Bill Mixon

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org