texascavers Digest 4 Nov 2012 19:25:35 -0000 Issue 1659

Topics (messages 20972 through 20986):

Mountain lion killed on highway by town of Medina
        20972 by: Geary Schindel
        20973 by: Jim Evatt
        20974 by: Ted Samsel
        20981 by: Julia Germany
        20982 by: Ted Samsel
        20983 by: Allan B. Cobb
        20986 by: Louise Power

sighting
        20975 by: Nico Escamilla

2012 TCR Vertical Winners
        20976 by: goody twoshoes

7 Things I learned from Hurricaine Sandy
        20977 by: wpick.cox.net

Re: texascavers Digest 31 Oct 2012 16:47:37 -0000 Issue 1657
        20978 by: Mike Flannigan
        20980 by: James Jasek
        20984 by: Oztotl

TCMA-Rolling Oaks Work Day this weekend, November 10th
        20979 by: ellie watson

Honey Creek Cave Tank Haul...2 Months to go! Haulers Needed January 19th & 26th
        20985 by: ellie watson

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Be careful out there.

Here is a link to the Bandera Bulletin article; this lion was killed by a car a
few weeks ago.   This location would be about five to ten miles east of the
town of Medina in northern Bandera County.

http://www.banderabulletin.com/news/article_145e60bc-1ec8-11e2-a92d-0019bb2963f4.html?photo=0

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Killed by the ENTIRE town?! This event is startlingly similar to Murder on the Orient Express, where EVERYONE (except Poirot) took a swipe at the vic until they all knew he was deader than Marley's doornail.

E ^v^

-----Original Message----- From: Geary Schindel
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 3:52 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Mountain lion killed on highway by town of Medina

Be careful out there.

Here is a link to the Bandera Bulletin article; this lion was killed by a car a few weeks ago. This location would be about five to ten miles east of the town of Medina in northern Bandera County.

http://www.banderabulletin.com/news/article_145e60bc-1ec8-11e2-a92d-0019bb2963f4.html?photo=0

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Shoot, old broads at Arkie Blue's Silver Dollar in Bandera is standard...

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Jim Evatt <nmca...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Killed by the ENTIRE town?! This event is startlingly similar to Murder on
> the Orient Express, where EVERYONE (except Poirot) took a swipe at the vic
> until they all knew he was deader than Marley's doornail.
>
> E ^v^
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Geary Schindel
> Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 3:52 PM
> To: texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: [Texascavers] Mountain lion killed on highway by town of Medina
>

> Be careful out there.

> Here is a link to the Bandera Bulletin article; this lion was killed by a
> car a few weeks ago.   This location would be about five to ten miles east
> of the town of Medina in northern Bandera County.
>

> http://www.banderabulletin.**com/news/article_145e60bc-**
> 1ec8-11e2-a92d-0019bb2963f4.**html?photo=0<http://www.banderabulletin.com/news/article_145e60bc-1ec8-11e2-a92d-0019bb2963f4.html?photo=0>

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> texascavers-help@texascavers.**com<texascavers-h...@texascavers.com>

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> texascavers-help@texascavers.**com<texascavers-h...@texascavers.com>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
HI Geary!

Thanks for posting this.  However, I don't think mountain lions get email, so
reminding them to be careful out there might not reach them.

What a beautiful cat, and so cool that he was strong and healthy, and his
carcass will be put to good use.  I was not aware that they are in the Medina
area.  And kudos to the person who was hit him for being kind enough to move
him off the road - if only they would have called authorities.  At least he was
found in time to be a learning tool for those urbanites......

I went to the University of Houston and our mascot is the Cougar.  Back in the
80's, he was kept in a concrete, air conditioned, glassed-in cage so the
students could appreciate having a live mascot.  Just made me cry.  And then
they had to dope him a little so they could take him to the games.  These
creatures deserve so much better.

julia

Here is a link to the Bandera Bulletin article; this lion was killed by a car a
few weeks ago.   This location would be about five to ten miles east of the
town
of Medina in northern Bandera County.

http://www.banderabulletin.com/news/article_145e60bc-1ec8-11e2-a92d-0019bb2963f4.html?photo=0

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We would see them at night between Uvalde and Eagle Pass and Crystal City
in the 1950s back when I was a kid.

Ted

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Julia Germany <germa...@aol.com> wrote:

> HI Geary!
>
> Thanks for posting this.  However, I don't think mountain lions get email,
> so reminding them to be careful out there might not reach them.
>
> What a beautiful cat, and so cool that he was strong and healthy, and his
> carcass will be put to good use.  I was not aware that they are in the
> Medina area.  And kudos to the person who was hit him for being kind
> enough to move him off the road - if only they would have called
> authorities.  At least he was found in time to be a learning tool for those
> urbanites......
>
> I went to the University of Houston and our mascot is the Cougar.  Back in
> the 80's, he was kept in a concrete, air conditioned, glassed-in cage so
> the students could appreciate having a live mascot.  Just made me cry.  And
> then they had to dope him a little so they could take him to the games.
> These creatures deserve so much better.
>
> julia

I used to own land north of La Grange and it was common to see mountain lion
tracks along the creek and around the pond. I never saw one there but my
neighbors did. I did hear one at night a couple of times out there.

Allan

Here is a link to the Bandera Bulletin article; this lion was killed by a car a
few weeks ago.   This location would be about five to ten miles east of the
town
of Medina in northern Bandera County.

http://www.banderabulletin.com/news/article_145e60bc-1ec8-11e2-a92d-0019bb2963f4.html?photo=0

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Ted and all,
When I was still in school at UT Austin, several of us including Mills Tandy
and Tom White (yes, it was a very long time ago) took a trip to Big Bend NP and
camped in the basin. Several people wanted to hike down to The Window to take a
shot of sunset from there (a truly memorable sight). As it was getting closer
and closer to dark in the ravine we became aware that there was something
tracking us on the rim above.
AND THEN...A BLOOD CURDLING SCREAM!!!
A mountain lion had been following us along the trail. Since we're mostly still
here and mostly intact, you can assume we all made it to The Window and back.
On the way back, we were treated to a rising full moon. Also the subject of
several photographers.
Later, a skunk visited our camp to lick bacon grease out of a can which
somebody had forgotten to stow. We all lay very still and when the skunk had
finished his treat and left, we stowed the can and went back to sleep.
I believe this was also the trip where a goat tried to eat T White's straw hat
as we sat on the porch of the Terlingua store and had a beer.
Ah, for the good ol' days.
Louise

Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 12:12:53 -0600
From: t.b.sam...@gmail.com