The U.S. Forest Service Region 2 has issued a new, modified cave closure order for the Rocky Mountain Region for one year. In it, members of the NSS and CRF are granted exemptions for broad purposes consistent with the conditions of the MOUs the organizations have with the USFS.

Advance permission is still required, as well as following decon procedures, modified by the USFS.

Why is this important? It shows that government policy-makers are beginning to acknowledge that the risk of human-based transmission of Geomyces destructans can be all but eliminated if people take the time to decontaminate their gear. Secondly, the USFS trusts the NSS and our members as we continue to develop long-term, sustainable cave visitation policies. Those of us in other areas of the country can point to this policy as one that is mutually beneficial to everyone and protects a potentially endangered resource.

We all owe Derek Bristol a huge debt of gratitude for his perseverance during negotiations with the USFS. Thanks to Derek's efforts the templates for trip reports required by this order will now permit non-NSS grotto members, scouts, and other groups to accompany NSS and CRF members on authorized trips.

Here is a PDF copy of the Order:

http://www.caves.org/WNS/USFS%20Region%202%202012%20Closure%20Extension.pdf

CavingNews.com Article:
http://cavingnews.com/20120802-rocky-mountain-region-extends-cave-closures-acknowledges-cavers