There was no trade in food stuffs between the Mayan and distance peoples as this is the tropics and there was no viable form of preservation for food stuffs. Some seeds and stock animals could have been traded (coco's prime use as money for example) but the foods would have rotted to an unusable muck before a few days of travel had taken place. Also the Inca and the Aztec civilizations both existed ~500 years AFTER the Maya "calendar" period we are "celebrating" at TRC, and as such there was no trade with those people, as they did not exist as a culture.

As Stef pointed out the recipes are relaxed to be "Mayan inspired" and not limited to using only true mayan food stuffs. Stef and I had even talked about "allowing" contact Spanish dishes (Spanish dishes with no corn, tomatoes, potatoes, chillies, vanilla, coca and so on) as one option for those that felt limited by using only Mayan food stuffs.

In the end it does not matter, as stef pointed out we are not limiting ourselfs to using only true mayan food stuffs. This allows us to use what ever we want in what ever form or method we want for the dishes.

Cook what ya want and no need to try and find some "source" of possible trade for some ingredient or cooking method one wants to use either.

Terry H.