Beck Ranch Cave Update

In 1999, the Texas Cave Conservancy entered into a cave management agreement
with the Brushy Creek Municipal Utility District.  This  is one of the few
caves under TCC management that does not have a cave gate.  The cave
entrance was not gated in order for the bats to be able to enter and exit
the cave.   A high quality nine- foot tall iron fence was build  to attempt
to control access.  Local teenagers were using it for a party cave. The
fence allowed us to greatly reduce the party traffic so we could protect the
cave.

            Today, locals continue to trespass and go into the cave.  Texas
cavers are going in without permission as well.  Both the locals and the
cavers have been confronted by law enforcement and issued citations for
trespassing.  In addition, the TCC has not been able to prevent the
authorized caver groups from creating problems such as changing cloths in
the parking lot of a public park.  Cavers in their underwear, and less, have
made it difficult to keep cave open.

            As a result, all authorized trips will be for cave management
activities such as cave clean up, the bi-annual monitoring, fire ant control
and inspection, etc. These trips will be set up by the Texas Cave
Conservancy.  We will host an annual cave clean up and restoration visit.
The next clean up day will be Saturday -February 23, 2013. If you are
interested in assisting us in conducting the cave management activities,
send us your name in an e-mail to tcc-ca...@austin.rr.com    We will place
you on the list and contact you prior to our work project.

            Further, the TCC would like to make it very clear to Texas
cavers that steps have been taken to alert law enforcement when unauthorized
visitation is taking place.  The TCC now has to notify the cave owner prior
to each authorized visit.  A Neighborhood Watch system is in place to
observe the cave.  A house near the cave can easily observe people entering
the cave and call for law enforcement.   In addition, electronic monitoring
should greatly increase the number of trespassers arrested.  We have been
notified that all unauthorized visitors that are detected will be arrested
and charged with trespassing. This will include cavers.

We want to thank all of the cavers that worked with us to protect the cave.
Your work has made a difference.  The TCC has done everything possible,
short of these new actions, to prevent problems.  I will be at the Texas
Caver's Reunion in October if you would like to ask questions.  Once again,
Thank You for working with the Texas Cave Conservancy.

Mike Walsh   President-Texas Cave Conservancy

512-249-2283

mikewaus...@austin.rr.com