From: Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] Mexican drug wars
To: "Cavers Texas" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Friday, July 6, 2012, 9:09 PM

For those wanting to keep up on the Mexican drug wars, there's a long article
in the July 2 issue of The New Yorker. I recall earlier press reports that the
Mexican army had seized a remarkable about of meth. From the article:

"In February, the Army announced that it had seized, in a "historic bust," in
Tlajomulco [Jalisco], fifteen tons of methamphetamine. The street value of that
much meth was, by the Army's figuring, some four billion dollars. If true, that
would make it the largest meth bust in history. But was it true?...

"I tried to get to the bottom of a single bust--the "historic" meth-lab raid in
Tlajomulco that confiscated some our billion dollars' worth of drugs. Were the
drugs seized really worth that much? Well, no. The more experts I consulted,
the lower the number sank. Maybe it was a billion, if the meth was pure. Then
was it really fifteen tons of "pure meth," as widely reported? Well, no. There
had been some confusion. There were precursor chemicals. A lot of
equipment--gas tanks, reactors. Maybe it was eleven pounds of pure meth. Eleven
pounds? Nobody wanted to speak on the record, but the spokesman for the federal
presecutor's office in Guadalajara, a young man named Ulises EnrĂ­quez Camacho,
finally said, "Yes, five kilos." Eleven pounds. The fifteen tons had been
methamphetamine ready for packing, according to the Army. But it was not
"finished product," and there had been only five kilos of crystal. In the U.S.,
where meth is often sold by the gram, that
 amount might be worth five hundred thousand dollars. So the reported value had
been inflated by a factor of eight thousand?"

I hope the body count is not off by a factor of eight thousand.
--Mixon
I'm walking down the street with Leonardo da Vinci. He says, "The things your
science has created are indeed wonderful. You must explain to me how everything
works." That's when I wake up.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org