texascavers Digest 23 Mar 2011 17:35:40 -0000 Issue 1272

Topics (messages 17412 through 17426):

Shafter
        17412 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        17413 by: Gill Edigar
        17414 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        17420 by: SS
        17422 by: Fritz Holt
        17423 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

caving gear for Mars
        17415 by: David

sort of cave photography related
        17416 by: David

Berry Cave Salamander
        17417 by: David

related to caves on Mars
        17418 by: David

Kartchner Caverns
        17419 by: David

Book sales at TSA Spring Convention
        17421 by: Jim Kennedy

The NSS Wants YOU
        17424 by: R D Milhollin

LED flashlight review
        17425 by: David
        17426 by: Louise Power

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---

Its OT, but I visited the property a year ago.  There is more proven silver in
the ground than the total of all that was ever mined out before.  It's an
economic no-brainer and a good mining venture.  I guess they finally found a
wise investor.

DirtDoc

From: TM Raines < tmrai...@amcs.org >
Date: Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Subject: Fwd: Speaking of silver
To: Gill Ediger < bgillegi...@gmail.com >

Did you see this Gill..... Terry

Subject: Speaking of silver,

....still a little left in Texas.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9M2CIT01&show_article=1

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Are those the same guys that are putting the deal together to reopen the
mine at Real de Catorce? This is not OT. As a caver travelling through Big
Bend we always stopped at Shafter and other mines in the area. Many cavers
care about Big Bend, the history, geography, mining, people, and other
interesting features of the place. This is totally caver relevant.
--Ediger

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM, <dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Its OT, but I visited the property a year ago.  There is more proven silver
> in the ground than the total of all that was ever mined out before.  It's an
> economic no-brainer and a good mining venture.  I guess they finally found a
> wise investor.
>

> DirtDoc

I don't know about Caorce - I don't think so.

I was first in the abandonded workings at Shafter in 1967 with cavers and
geology students from Sul Ross. Without a doubt the most frightening, unstable,
place I have ever been.  It did not sink in how awfully rotten it was until I
was much too far inside and I realized the full significance of the slowly
exploded wooden ground supports..

I was again (VERY caaaaautiously) in a small part of it in the late 70s.  It
was worse!  (Or my awareness greater, probably both)

Since that experience, the most unstable breakdown in a natural cave has seemed
like the Rock of Gibralter by comparison.  That's not to mean I have not
exercised caution as appropriate in caves!

Look forward to seeing all you April Fools again ---

DirtDoc

From: TM Raines < tmrai...@amcs.org >
Date: Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM
To: Gill Ediger < bgillegi...@gmail.com >

Did you see this Gill..... Terry

....still a little left in Texas.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9M2CIT01&show_article=1

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Surely they have ways to bore out the old tunnels and install new supports.  Or
maybe they'll just turn it into a giant open pit mine.

SS

On Mar 21, 2011, at 6:43 PM, dirt...@comcast.net wrote:

> I don't know about Caorce - I don't think so.
>

> I was first in the abandonded workings at Shafter in 1967 with cavers and
> geology students from Sul Ross. Without a doubt the most frightening,
> unstable, place I have ever been.  It did not sink in how awfully rotten it
> was until I was much too far inside and I realized the full significance of
> the slowly exploded wooden ground supports..
>

> I was again (VERY caaaaautiously) in a small part of it in the late 70s.  It
> was worse!  (Or my awareness greater, probably both)
>

> Since that experience, the most unstable breakdown in a natural cave has
> seemed like the Rock of Gibralter by comparison.  That's not to mean I have
> not exercised caution as appropriate in caves!
>

> Look forward to seeing all you April Fools again ---
>

> DirtDoc

If I am remembering correctly, the newspaper article said the mine tunnels were
1,500 feet below the surface which might negate an open pit mine.

Fritz

________________________________

<<mailto:dirt...@comcast.net>dirt...@comcast.net<mailto:dirt...@comcast.net>>

From: TM Raines
<<mailto:tmrai...@amcs.org>tmrai...@amcs.org<mailto:tmrai...@amcs.org>>
Date: Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM
To: Gill Ediger
<<mailto:bgillegi...@gmail.com>bgillegi...@gmail.com<mailto:bgillegi...@gmail.com>>

Did you see this Gill..... Terry

....still a little left in Texas.
<http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9M2CIT01&show_article=1>http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9M2CIT01&show_article=1

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

They are going to bypass all the old workings.  The ore is gone from there,
anyhow.  Two new shafts (or more) and mine underground to the north of the old
mine.