From: Andy Gluesenkamp <andrew_gluesenk...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] El Malpais
To: "Mixon Bill" <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>, "Cavers Texas"
<texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Thursday, December 9, 2010, 2:20 PM

Bill,
  Blame the bureaucrats if you must but it sounds like they are taking steps to
study the situation carefully.  The NPS is conducting microbiological and other
surveys of caves in the area, including those that are not occupied by bats.
Simply stated: human entry into caves may complicate these studies.
Stating that "nothing can be done" is giving up to soon.  You may be correct
that nothing can be done to prevent the spread of WNS, with or without cave
closures.  However, documenting bat populations and cave use as well as
conducting microbiological and other surveys will at least provide information
about what we may lose (have lost).  This documentation is valuable, especially
if we are facing the inevitable spread of a catastophic phenomenon like WNS.
  I view this as analogous to the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria.
Sure, the fire may have been unavoidable (try stopping Julius Ceasar and the
Roman army) but don't you wish that someone had at least catalogued the
collection before it was turned to ashes?

 Andrew G. Gluesenkamp, Ph.D.
700 Billie Brooks Drive
Driftwood, Texas 78619
(512) 799-1095