From: Rod Goke <rod.g...@earthlink.net>
To: Andy Gluesenkamp <a...@gluesenkamp.com>
Cc: texascavers@texascavers.com
Sent: Fri, December 10, 2010 11:43:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] El Malpais

If the bureaucrats are so interested in research, why don't they make a serious
effort to determine scientifically whether or not closing caves helps to
prevent
WNS? Instead of closing all their caves on the basis of little more than
speculation about how cavers might inadvertently spread WNS, why don't they
randomly divide their caves into two groups, where one is an "experimental
group" with caves closed to recreational caving and where the other is a
"control group" with caves remaining open as usual? Then they could actually
study whether or not closing caves has a statistically significant effect on
the
spread of WNS.

Do you know of any examples where government bureaucrats have been doing this
study the effectiveness of cave closing? What, if any, other research
techniques
are they using to determine whether or not cave closing is effective in
combating WNS? What, if any, research results are there to justify the
prohibition of noncommercial caving while commercial "show cave" operations are
allowed to carry on business as usual?

Rod

L. Rodney Goke, yet another Ph.D. (as if it matters here ;-)
5105 Dusty Trail Cove
Austin, Texas 78749
(512) 892-4186
rod.g...@ieee.org