From: Frank Binney <fr...@frankbinney.com>
To: Texas Cavers <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Fri, Oct 1, 2010 8:58 am
Subject: [Texascavers] New Guinea people shots from a '75 caving trip

Not caving pictures, but some interesting B&W portraits of local people

taken when I participated in the Royal Geographic Society's 1975 British

Speleological Expedition to the headwaters of the Sepik River in Papua New

Guinea. Andy Eavis, who many of you met at ICS last year, was co-leader of

the expedition.

Here's the public link to the album on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2091947&id=1172443723&l=6dc576cb33

We were fortunate to have spent time in the area when many of the Mountain

Ok people still wore traditional dress (penis gourds on the men, nose bones,

etc.). Shortly after the expedition Mountain Ok lifestyles changed

dramatically as the world's largest open pit copper mine was developed in

the area and a local form of Christian evangelism replaced the indigenous

taro cultivation-based religion.

Side note: Mountain Ok religion held special significance for us cavers:

Afek, the Mountain Ok ancestress deity, travelled through the area in large

underground tunnels on her way to create the various Mountain Ok peoples.

When we discovered huge borehole passages during the expedition, the locals

weren't surprised. They had grown up hearing about those passages in Afek

stories. Kinda the Oztotl of Papua New Guinea.

Frank

Frank Binney

Frank Binney & Associates

Interpretive Planning and Media Development

P.O. Box 258

Woodacre, CA 94973

415.488.1200 Voice

415.488.1500 Fax