Here's a link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/mexicocrimedrugsviolence

________________________________
From: David <dlocklea...@gmail.com>
To: Cavers Texas <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Mon, August 30, 2010 12:16:18 AM
Subject: [Texascavers] Purificacion related ( I think )

There is a town along the highway to Ciudad Victoria called Hidalgo.

It is just northeast of the Purificacion area.

The mayor of that town was found shot to death today.
( I am presuming that is the town, unless there is another town
in the same state with the same name ).

The rest of this post is just an old personal story, and the only
reason it is related to caving was at the time I was hoping to do
some ridgewalking.

In 1987, I spent the night on a park bench on the town plaza of Hidalgo.

I had arrived there by bus late at night and there were no hotels.   I
was probably
naive, but there didn't seem to be any reason to be worried about my
safety.   About 4 in the morning, a teenager came by and said he told
his mom my story, and she said I could sleep on the couch.   That
ended up being o.k.     I spent the rest of the day hiking southwest of town
but never reached the base of the mountains.    I thought I was in a
remote area, and all the people I met along my hike were very nice to me.
I asked the locals about caves and pointed towards the base of the
Sierra Madres,
but they all said "no gruta, no cueva alla."     I seem to recall taking a nice
swim in the Rio Purificacion upstream of the town of Hidalgo.    It
looks like there
is a lake there now.

I wish I had had something like internet aerial photos in those days.   The
map below would have been a huge help to me.

    http://www.maplandia.com/mexico/tamaulipas/hidalgo/villa-hidalgo/

The next day I took the bus back to my dormitory in Monterrey.   I was
taking a summer Spanish course at a university there called TEC.

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/367307173_982567e5e2_z.jpg?zz=1

David Locklear