-----Original message-----
From: "Kim Fleischmann" kflei...@juno.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:18:37 -0600
To: baltogro...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ccccavers] Fall MAR/VAR at Friars Hole, October 1-3

Mark your calendars for the joint fall MAR/VAR hosted by DC and Baltimore
Grottoes at Friars Hole Cave Preserve in Pocahontas County, West Virginia,
October 1-3, 2010.

Friars Hole, the longest cave in West Virginia, sits right beneath the
campground with several entrances less than a 2-minute walk from camp. With
over 46 miles of passage to choose from, there is something for everyone.
Tourist trips for the family, vertical trips for the experienced and
well-equipped, sloppy wet muddy crawls, and even a marathon crawlathon to visit
the cave's most impressive room, Monster Cavern. This 230' room, complete with
waterfall, is ironically only several hundred feet from camp, but you can't get
there from here (directly, at least). We are planning a number of led caving
trips both on and off site. A led, skin-scraping Bone-Norman through trip is
confirmed for the masochists. Trips are also being planned to Poor Farm,
Culverson Creek, Snedegars, and other local caves. We welcome volunteers to
lead other trips.

For the project cavers, there will be an off-site sinkhole cleanup during the
day on Saturday, with lunch provided.  An on-site tutorial course in surveying
is being planned, and Sandy and Brian Preaux plan to demonstrate their new cave
radio communication system for anyone interested in seeing how these work.
The Friars Hole area abounds with above-ground attractions including Bear Town
State Park, the Cranberry Glades, the triple Falls of Hills Creek, Droop
Mountain Battlefield, geocaching, biking on the Greenbrier Trail, and kayaking
(bring your own boat).
After the Saturday evening dinner of salad, bratwurst sausages, potatoes, baked
beans, and corn, Sandy and Brian Preaux will present a video on the exploration
of the lower end of the Friars Hole system set to cave ballads. Mike and Andrea
Futrell will also speak about the integration of GIS data in cave exploration
and particularly in the VSS archives.
DJ John Fox will spin all your favorite dance tunes while you enjoy the usual
cave beverages into the night. The largest entrance in the Friars Hole system
lies just off the campground, and will be open for chilling (or warming, maybe)
during the party. Midnight cave bocce, anyone?
See you in the heart of cave country the first weekend in October! Fall colors
should be close to peak. Preregistration is only $30 and only those who
preregister will receive guidebooks. While we will endeavor to feed everyone
who comes, we will only guarantee food for those who preregister.
Preregistration has been extended until September 21st, but we encourage you to
send in your registration before OTR. More information and preregistration
forms from:
http://www.varegion.org/var/events/FallVAR/FallVAR.shtml
Please feel free to forward this message to other caving listservs and cavers
who would be interested.