-- This might seem a bit of ho-hum information, but consider  that the
workers will be retrofitting a steel framework that is located  within a
754-foot deep shaft that is about 30 ft square WHILE some of the  elevators and
counter weights are still zipping by !  Not work for the  faint-hearted.
  As an aside, we once transported a long ladder down into the cave  back
in the 1980s to check a high lead, and due to the fact that it was too long
to fit in the elevators. I and another caver rode the ladder down to the
Lunch  Room on top of one of the elevator cars.  We had our caving lights on
and  held on for dear life.  It's not until you ride one of those cars down
that  you really realize how fast they are dropping !  Watching the walls at
arms  length zoom past at a blur was a bit unnerving.  -  Jerry.

Renovation planned for Cavern  elevators

>From the  Current-Argus

CARLSBAD — Carlsbad Caverns National Park  is doing some renovation in the
name of safety.
On Sept. 13, a contract to replace most of the steel support beams in the
Caverns' primary elevator hoistway will commence. According to a press
release,  the maintenance is required due to peeling lead-based paint and
damage
caused by  corrosion on the 55-year-old steel framework.
"This is a very necessary project that will improve employee safety for the
 elevator mechanics and significantly prolong the useful life of the
primary  elevator system," said park Superintendent John Benjamin. "We regret
that
it  will affect visitor use on busy days. We have scheduled the work for
the time of  the year with the lowest visitation, and we have made extensive
contingency  plans to lessen the adverse effects of the project."
The elevator system at the park provides transportation for visitors and
cargo to and from the main cavern, located 754 feet below the Visitor Center.
 The system includes four elevators: a primary set that carry 16 passengers
each  and a secondary set that carry eight passengers each.
Many factors, such as the difficulty of accessing the hoistway, the
presence  of lead-based paint and the interest in public safety, raised the
recommendation  to reinforce the structure with galvanized beams, from a team
of
National Park  Service and industry experts. The contract to carry-out the
work was granted to  White Construction Group of Castle Rock, Colo.
The repairs of the beams will take from mid-September to mid-May 2011, the
release said.
Management assistant Paula Bauer provided helpful tips on how to make your
visit as efficient as possible.
"We will try our best to direct and maintain a steady flow of visitors
exiting the cave ... the wait can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour
depending on the amount of visitors," she said. "We suggest coming earlier in
the day, because lines in the afternoon tend to be longer as people try to
leave. Staff members will be in the area to answer any questions and to keep
things running as smooth as possible while the construction takes place."
However, visitors are allowed to hike out to the cave's natural entrance
via  a steep 1-mile route. Park officials suggest that anyone considering this
route  needs to start the hike before mid-day, be wearing appropriate
footwear and be  in good physical condition. It is an uphill climb, with an
elevation gain of  about 800 feet over about one and a quarter miles. The
gradual
climb is not  recommended for anyone who experiences problems with their
heart, breathing,  knees, back or diabetes. Visitors with health concerns
should return to the  surface by elevator.
_http://www.currentargus.com/ci_15988628_
(http://www.currentargus.com/ci_15988628)