Yes, we still place aluminum round tags at cave entrances.  (My experience with
cave tags is from CBSP.) There are some that have an aluminum strip, similar in
thickness to a beer/soda can , that is a temporary marker because you can
quickly write on it with a ball-point pen on location. It can be replaced later
with a round tag that has been stamped with the cave ID number. At CBSP, these
IDs are either SABxxx or LAMxxx depending on which county the cave is in. For
karst features, the ID is Kxxx, IIRC. The tags are usually nailed to the
nearest tree, which at CBSP is most often a cedar tree. These ID numbers, GPS
coordinates, and other info about the caves are kept in a database at TSS. For
CBSP, I know that at least Crash Kennedy and Butch Fralia have copies of the
database. In fact, Butch is the maintainer of the CBSP database, (maybe others
too.)

A few years ago when the Maverick Grotto had a project going at a private ranch
in San Saba County, we tagged the caves with a round metal tag.

If you are looking for a specific cave at CBSP, and you know the ID number, and
you have GPS coordinates that may or may not be accurate, once you come upon
the cave entrance, look for the tag, and that will usually veriify whether you
have found the right cave or not. Also - if you're out ridge-walking and you
come upon a small cave with a tag, then you know for sure it's already been
discovered previously. If it doesn't have a tag, well... maybe it has been
discovered - maybe it hasn't...

Scott