Not everyone advocates waiting for a kid to understand caves or to express an
interest in caving before taking the child to a cave. Some second generation
cavers claim to have gone caving with their mothers before they were even born.
They don't remember these early caving trips, of course, but they do remember
hearing later about how their mothers had gone caving while pregnant, and they
sometimes enjoy the bragging rights when cavers swap stories about how young
they were when they started caving.

So what are you waiting for, Dave? You're already late! ;-)

Actually, I think the age of a child's first caving experience is not nearly as
important as how the child feel's about doing it. If she enjoys the initial
experiences and feels that caving is something neat you're letting her do, then
there's a good chance she'll develop further interest in it and will grow up
proud to be a second generation caver, especially if she associates with other
young cavers who reinforce her interest in it as she grows up. On the other
hand, if she grows up feeling that it's something her parents pushed her to do
or that it's an activity associated only with her parents' generation and not
with her generation, then she'll probably learn to avoid caving. That, of
course, is true not just for caving, but for most activities that parents
introduce to their children.

Rod