As long ago as the early 70s, the Bureau of Mines was developing magnetic induction communication devices for locating and communicating with trapped miners. They worked just like our "cave radios," except that they got extremely long range by having very large underground antennas, like wires wrapped around a mine pillar. Leveling wasn't critical, because precise location not needed, there presumably being a good survey of the mine available. The idea was just to see that someone was alive and trapped in a certain area of the mine. Not sure what ever became of that idea. I have a bunch of government publications on the subject from those days because of my interest in cave radios.
--Mixon
I am walking down the street with Leonardo di Vinci. He says, "It is indeed wonderful what your science has created. You must explain to me how everything works." That's when I wake up.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org