Last Stanton Expedition we had a science trip to Wheeler Hall (beyond Hell
Hole Gate) and found evidence of relatively recent formation mining - looks
like within the past two or three seasons by recreational parties.  To stop
this, from now on, recreational trips beyond Hell Hole by persons with whom
we are not familiar are limited to 5 persons and #6 must either be an NSS
or CRF member whom BLM Pecos District knows and who knows about the other
side of Hell Hole Gate.  I'll supply requesting parties with SWR grotto and
CRF contact numbers but if requesters can't secure help from cavers whom we
know, who know beyond Hell Hole, then recreationists don't go.  Hate to do
this but we're faced with certain persons who just don't get it.  If you
thus become the guide for a recreational Hell Hole trip, I'd like you to
lay on cave ethics and minimum impact.

Also, I'll schedule for you a Leave No Trace Trainers Course or two, which
will help.  Taking that training, you become a certified Leave No Trace
Trainer.  It's a 2-day course and we'll do it at Stanton, although I am
going to conduct one June 26-27 near Albuquerque, probably the Sandias.

Mike

Mike Bilbo
Fort Stanton-Snowy River Cave National Conservation Area
Cave Program Manager/
BLM-NM Leave No Trace Coordinator
Roswell Field Office
2909 West 2nd