From: Rod Goke [mailto:rod.g...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:53 AM
To: John Brooks
Cc: Cavers Texas
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] grotto culture and concealed carry

Actually, John, it would not be surprising at all if some grotto members do
carry concealed firearms to meetings, and do so legally. Several meetings ago,
one of our long term caver friends joined us after a Grotto meeting here in
Austin at the bar where cavers customarily go for the "meeting after the
meeting". He not only carried a concealed firearm, but he had a long friendly
conversation about firearms, concealed carry, etc. with some other people there
who shared his interest in guns. This caver was, and still is, a police
officer, and it is both legal and common practice for off duty police officers
to carry concealed firearms, even in places where people with concealed carry
licenses are not allowed to carry them.

Have you ever gone anywhere with an off duty police officer? If so, you
probably were in the presence of someone carrying a loaded concealed handgun.
If you didn't know the person well enough to know that he or she was a police
officer, then you probably wouldn't even notice the gun, unless it was shown to
you deliberately. That, after all, is the idea of concealment. Similarly,
people with concealed carry licenses normally carry their guns in ways you
wouldn't notice, so in places where concealed carry is legal, you never really
know who, if anyone, is carrying a gun. It is precisely this uncertainty which
helps to protect us all from predatory criminals. Even, if you never carry a
gun, the possibility that you or someone near you might be doing so helps to
deter would-be criminals who otherwise might target you or someone near you for
robbery, rape, carjacking, kidnapping, home invasion, or some similarly serious
violent crime. In areas where concealed carry is prohibited, it is much easier
for a predatory criminal to feel confident that any victim he chooses will be a
defenseless victim. By far, the greatest safety benefit of concealed carry,
both by off duty police officers and by people with concealed carry licenses,
is not the number of criminals shot with these weapons, but rather the number
of times that would-be criminals are deterred from attacking people by the
possibility that their victims might not be as defenseless as they appear.

Interestingly, during our conversation with the off duty police officer
following the grotto meeting I mentioned above, one person asked him how he
felt when he had to stop someone with a concealed carry license in a routine
traffic stop or similar encounter. His response was that he usually felt safer
than he would otherwise when he knew that the stranger he was stopping had a
concealed carry license, because of the screening people go through to get
these licenses. On average, these license holders are significantly less likely
to commit violent crimes than are people in the general population. It's
something to think about the next time you hear anyone fretting and speculating
about how dangerous it might be to let concealed carry license holders take
their guns into national parks (which, if you remember, is what started the
recent discussion here about guns and caves).

Rod