Some caves can probably be ventilated using blower fans and hoses.

But at what point do you decide to carry oxygen tanks and a breathing
mask?

Also, is regular scuba gear the best way to do this?

Or is it better to use some kind of industrial apparatus like they
use cleaning chemical tanks?

Or what about what the Mt. Everest climbers use to breath?  I think
some of them carry small tanks made out of Kevlar?

I think caver's entering known bad air caves should carry a bottle
of Spare Air.

     http://www.spareair.com/images1/underwater.jpg

Some may call this a Pony Bottle.   Right?

What is a good size of bottle to carry?    20 cubic feet?

Smaller tanks are available in 6, 8, and 13 cubic feet.

The link below shows a solution:

      http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp_id_043133

Can anyone purchase these tanks from a scuba store?
Or do you have to show a certification?

These kind of things are not mentioned in caving books.

Someone could write a good article for a caving magazine.

Back in the 80's, there was an article about some Texas cavers
surveying Skull Cave, and wearing oxygen tanks.   I think that
was considered "extreme caving," back in those days.

Ref:

http://www.ehso.com/RespProtection_Glos.htm

David Locklear

P.S.    On a semi-related note, if anyone would like a
geology book on the Ellenburger limestone, I found an original
copy of the 1946 UT Austin publication at 1/2 Price Books
for $ 30.    It briefly mentions Gorman Cave, and has a
thorough geology of the area.   I haven't bought it yet.

Ref:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_cylinder