I got an e-mail from my sister today in response to the article. She lives SE
of San Antonio and says:

We have not seen them here but my friend, XXXX,  who lives in Cotulla, about 90
miles south of here, has had them for about 3 years. Her exterminator comes and
sprays and it essentially kills only the ones it hits.  They then move the hive
across the street or down into a vacant lot, etc.. Once they are disturbed
again they move back to her house.  She is having an influx of them right now.
The only good thing is they do get rid of the fire ants but these are more
invasive than fire ants.  They do not sting and that is the another good thing
about them.
I sent her a link on diatomaceous earth,
http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html and recommended that she send
it to her friend. It may at least help keep them out of her house. I've been
using it for years. Kills pests mechanically, not chemically, so they don't
become immune to it. Good for getting rid of a lot of other pests, too.

Louise