As others have pointed out, diatomaceous earth kills insects by cutting their skin and desiccating them. It doesn't absorb their bodily fluids so much as it allows them to drain away. It works for cockroaches the same way. Any insect that drags their body through it is susceptible. It is relatively safe because it is not poisonous if you ingest a little. DE is mostly silica, so it is not reasonable to distinguish it from other forms of silica on a chemical basis. The physical form is what is more important. Silicosis is a serious problem for miners who breath silica dust. As insecticides go, it is pretty benign.

Mark Minton