George,

>In any case, I'll be contacting the owners about this so they will know that they may need to do more training with their guides.

That might be a good idea if they're still telling people some of the formations are quartz. When the guide told us that many years ago I questioned it, and the guide claimed that's what they were told to say. I doubted that was the case, but obviously they were convinced and as far as they were concerned I was just an uppity tourist.

As for there being 7 miles in Sonora, I doubt it, but if true why hasn't anyone started a serious resurvey project? Could make a great TSA activity.

Mark

About 13 years ago I wrote a guide for the guides at Sonora. Some of the
guides have it virtually memorized and I hear them quote it or accurately
paraphrase it. The management at the cave works hard to preserve and build
on the accuracy of their tours. Sometimes guides embellish, no matter how
hard the owners try to prevent it. However, sometimes the tourists mix up
the message. Blaming the guide assumes that the author's recollection is
completely accurate. I've given lots of interviews to reporters who even
when taking detailed notes still garbled some of the information because it
is so foreign to them. In any case, I'll be contacting the owners about this
so they will know that they may need to do more training with their guides.

As for the 7 mile length, it is true that only about 2 miles have been
surveyed, but Jack Burch told me many years ago when I first started
studying the cave "If you add up all of the unsurveyed passages, including
all of the 10-ft-long dead-end crawlways, I bet you'd find there's seven to
seven and half miles in there." That is where 7 miles came from. And from
what I've seen of the cave, I believe Jack's estimate.

George