Cristina said:

>I'll go to Honey creek cave next weeks. This is my first wet cave in cold weather conditions. I checked, and the weather conditions suggest 60's/40's.

Lots of good advice has been posted for staying warm in Honey Creek. If you have access to back issues of the NSS News, Jonathan Wilson and I wrote an article called "Wet & Wild Underground: Wet Caving Techniques" in the November, 2003 issue, p. 320-1. That was based largely on our experiences in Honey Creek.

As temperatures go, getting out of Honey Creek in 40-degree weather shouldn't be too bad. The worst I can remember was a trip when we came out and it was 19 degrees in an ice storm. The rope was covered with ice at the lip of the shaft due to the warm moist air rising up and then freezing when it hit outside. At least it wasn't sucking in. Ours was the only trip that day, so there was no one on the surface, so no fire to warm up by. I was too cold to change in the freezing rain, so I just drove home in my wetsuit. I had to have the defroster heat on high to keep a spot on the windshield clear enough to see out of, but I was so hot in my wetsuit that I also had my window open. That was a weird night, with black ice on the highways and cars sliding off right and left. I drove back to Driftwood at about 30 miles an hour in 4WD, hoping no one would careen into me.

Mark Minton

You may reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org