Nowadays, the kids drive ATVs at a tender age, as evidenced by this improbable
story in yesterday's Houston Chronicle:

5-year-old boy's kill: gator 20 times his size
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6645997.html

...Simon learned to drive all-terrain vehicles and shoot firearms when he was
only 4. So he was primed and ready to go on an alligator hunt this past weekend
with his father, Scott Hughes, a sixth-generation rancher, and hunting guide
Chuck CottonSimon had a new junior-sized .410-gauge shotgun. ..“That's the way
it is in rural areas,” Scott Hughes said. “We don't think of guns as playthings
or something used in videogames.”

Must have been different for Southern city boys back when I was a kid: we
generally weren't allowed to own guns or have have unrestricted access to them
until we were 13 or 14 back in the early Sixties.  But I knew about the rural
tractor-driving, and boy was I jealous!

Roger Moore

Greater Houston Grotto