Resolution is a direct engineering trade off with dynamic-range in most sensor designs, many cameras employ "pixel-binning" when used at lower resolutions which increases real quality of the images by allowing multiple photo sites to contribute to the tonal data of a single real pixel.

Michael Pugliese
Director of Photography
www.MPCINE.com
570.898.3011

Don Cooper wrote:
I noticed this when I got my first "multi-megapixel" camera... It actually seemed to have better picture quality at LOWER resolutions...

-WaV