texascavers Digest 25 Nov 2009 16:13:41 -0000 Issue 894

Topics (messages 12684 through 12706):

updated ICS web-site
        12684 by: David

Texas Cavers Memorial web page
        12685 by: Ron Miller
        12686 by: David
        12687 by: Butch Fralia
        12688 by: Fritz Holt

Re: Hunters being the hunted in Mexico]
        12689 by: Logan McNatt
        12690 by: Cristina Estrada
        12691 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        12692 by: Fritz Holt
        12693 by: Nancy Weaver
        12695 by: David
        12696 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        12697 by: Nico Escamilla

Anthrodites in Skyline Caverns
        12694 by: Sam Young

anthodites
        12698 by: Mixon Bill

long sump passed in Spain
        12699 by: Mixon Bill

PDF related
        12700 by: David
        12704 by: Pete Lindsley
        12705 by: David

Re: Hunters being the hunted in Mexico
        12701 by: Mark Minton
        12702 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

TCR photos online - TSA Website
        12703 by: Butch Fralia

El Potrero Re: Hunters being the hunted in Mexico
        12706 by: Tom Byrd

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
The free power-point viewer worked fine, and the slideshow looked great
on my 24" monitor.   I didn't attend most of the events shown on the
slideshow, so it was great seeing what everybody else did.

I wished I had seen the big maps, although, I saw the Mammoth map
at the Indiana NSS Convention.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This is to let you know that my web page has been moved to the TSA web site.
http://cavetexas.org/rmiller/

Much thanks to Butch Fralia for setting this up.

Ron Miller

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Kudos to Butch and Ron.   That was great.

Let us all hope that none of us need to be added to the memorial list for
another 30 years.

I would prefer 60 more years for me.   If I only go caving once a year, that
would
be 60 caves at the most I will see before I croak.   So I am either going to
have to find a way to live longer, or
go caving more often, or both.   That means I am going to have to give up
french fries.   So far, have not been able to kick this deadly addiction.
Have any of you tried restricting the salt content in your diet?   It is not
easy.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cutting back on salt content isn't so hard if you can cut back on canned
foods, deli meat and such.  I was supposed to go salt free according to one
doctor and I found that's almost impossible unless you prepare everything
you eat from scratch.  I asked again about "salt free" and got the answer to
just watch salt content.  Keep it at or below 2g/day which is the
recommended level for everyone.  They typical sodium intake is about
4.4g/day.

Walk around the grocery store and look at the sodium/serving content on
canned soup and other items.  It's spooky!

I'm planning on about 60 more years, isn't everyone?

Butch

Kudos to Butch and Ron.   That was great.

Let us all hope that none of us need to be added to the memorial list for
another 30 years.

I would prefer 60 more years for me.   If I only go caving once a year, that
would

be 60 caves at the most I will see before I croak.   So I am either going to
have to find a way to live longer, or

go caving more often, or both.   That means I am going to have to give up
french fries.   So far, have not been able to kick this deadly addiction.
Have any of you tried restricting the salt content in your diet?   It is not
easy.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
At 74, I'll settle for 25. Science had better get busy for most of us.
Fritz

________________________________

Kudos to Butch and Ron.   That was great.

Let us all hope that none of us need to be added to the memorial list for
another 30 years.

I would prefer 60 more years for me.   If I only go caving once a year, that
would
be 60 caves at the most I will see before I croak.   So I am either going to
have to find a way to live longer, or
go caving more often, or both.   That means I am going to have to give up
french fries.   So far, have not been able to kick this deadly addiction.
Have any of you tried restricting the salt content in your diet?   It is not
easy.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks to Peter Keyes for this article from the Houston Chronicle.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
They said it is an isolated case, however, I think is good to play safe and
be careful when caving in Mexico. I don't know how dangerous is this area
(northeast), because my hometown is Hermosillo, (northwest of Mexico).

I heard stories about some small towns in my state (Sonora) being controlled
by drug dealers, that you need to be a local to get out, but I don't know
how truthfully they are....

Cristina Estrada

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Logan McNatt <lmcn...@austin.rr.com>wrote:

>  Thanks to Peter Keyes for this article from the Houston Chronicle.
>
> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/6733362.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Odd that it took a month to go public.. or was it being saved for Lou (I'm going back to my home planet) Dobbs?

Nov 23, 2009 11:09:45 PM, lmcn...@austin.rr.com wrote:
Thanks to Peter Keyes for this article from the Houston Chronicle.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
A good reason for an old dude not to go caving in Mexico. I know, I know, you
cave far from the border and it wouldn't happen to a peaceful caving group. But
friends, the times they are a changing and desperate people take desperate
actions even at the expense of their on livelihood.
Fritz