Some of the recent comments about the TSA spring convention are
thought-provoking and a bit amusing.

First, let's establish exactly where we stand geographically.  Look at this map

http://pages.suddenlink.net/carl-kunath/100-250_miles_from_Burnet.jpg

to find the point most central to all known Texas caving groups (we need a
circle with radius = 250 miles).  Since Texas is a big place, and since we
don't often have the option of choosing where we want to be and when we want to
be there, some TSA members are going to have longer journeys than others.  That
said, it's not too realistic to have the Convention at the extreme edges of the
group territory.  In years past, it's been as far west as San Angelo, but
mostly it's been within that inner 100 mile circle centered on Burnet.  That's
really handy for Austin, San Antonio, and others on the I-35 corridor but not
so good for Houston, Midland, Wichita Falls, and Lubbock.  It's better to
gather at a central location rather than in Wichita Falls, Houston, or Midland
-- places that would inconvenience 95% of the attendees.

David Locklear's emphasis seems poorly placed.  He is more interested in the
recreational possibilities in the immediate area than in the Convention itself.
 The Convention was not designed to be a recreational weekend except as
opportunity and inclination may allow.  Earlier Conventions would usually have
one or more field trips available for Sunday but were set so as not to conflict
with formal Convention activities.  It is, after all, a CAVING Convention and
should not be oriented toward bicycling, kayaking, hiking, bird-watching,
swimming, or whatever.

The TSA Convention was conceived as an annual gathering where information could
be shared in a somewhat formal setting with others of like mind.  To that end,
there are some requirements.

There must be a meeting room large enough for the expected group.
The room must be made reasonably dark for media presentations.
Climate control is almost a must as the spring weather in Texas is
unpredictable.
The room itself should be somewhat acoustically dead.
There must be appropriate space to display the photo and map salons.
There should be "crowd control."

Lacking crowd control, we find that if camping is just outside the door, people
continuously wander in and out of the room while presentations are taking
place.  It's probably better if camping is at least a few miles away so that
people are either at the Convention (isn't that why they are here?) or at the
campground -- at least until more considerate behavior is evidenced.  Recently,
some convention attendees have been rude in the extreme and some tended to
gather in the back of the room and carry on as if nothing else was happening.
The last Kerrville convention was the worst I have ever seen in this regard.

Historically, Conventions were held at scholastic locations and the camping was
remote.  The evening meal was sourced individually either at a nearby food
place or prepared at the campground.  The present-day pattern of cavers cooking
for the crowd may be more hassle than it's worth.  Eliminate the need for
kitchen facilities and choice of venues is far simpler.

The Convention that Preston Forsythe referenced where a hat was passed to
offset a financial shortfall was at the Knox Ranch near Wimberley in 2006.
Convention registration was noted as 110 -- about average for recent years.  No
explanation was offered as to why the Convention was in the red but that's not
really the point.  To pass the hat was rather bizarre.  TSA has a plump
treasury that could easily cover the shortfall.  So what if it lost a little
money?  If the Convention had come out financially ahead do you think those in
attendance would have received a partial refund?

===Carl Kunath  (Attending since 1962)